The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Counter Terrorism
Division: Regional Security
Line Supervisor: PPO, Regional Security Division
Department: Political Affairs Peace and Security
Directorate: Peacekeeping and Regional Security
Institution: Ecowas Commission
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Regional Security Division, the incumbent provides technical support to the development and coordination of implementation of the ECOWAS Counterterrorism Strategy and Implementation Plan as well as the ECOWAS Counter Terrorism Training Manual, so as to give effect to the ECOWAS Political Declaration and Common Position Against Terrorism.
Role and Responsabilities
- Provide technical support to the ECOWAS Commission in the development and coordination of implementation of the ECOWAS Counterterrorism Strategy and Implementation Plan as well as the ECOWAS Counter Terrorism Training Manual.
- Lead programme development and policy development, including the review and analysis of Counterterrorism and PVE and related issues.
- Support training and capacity building of law enforcement agents in Member States based on the ECOWAS Counterterrorism Training Manual.
- Facilitate collation, sharing, analysis and dissemination of crime data and statistics relating to Counterterrorism and PVE from Member States so as to promote evidence-based decision making.
- Facilitate harmonization of policies and legislations of Member States relating to Counterterrorism and PVE in line with the ECOWAS Counterterrorism Strategy and international best practice, and in collaboration with Directorate of Legal Affairs.
- Monitor all communications relating to Counterterrorism and PVE and propose responses.
- Lead knowledge production and knowledge sharing, including development and production of documentation and written materials relating to the programme.
- Lead programme information dissemination and implementation of communication strategy.
- Support resource mobilization and manage budgeting and financial disbursements for the programme.
- Provide technical and capacity building support to the Commission in all aspects of Counterterrorism and PVE.
- Provide advice on result-based planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and review of Counterterrorism and PVE programmes/projects in Member States and at the regional level.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Division.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Political Science, International Relations, Social Science, Economics, Law, Public Administration, or a related field from a recognized university
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, governance, diplomacy, conflict resolution, security or related field;
- Understanding of political, governance and security dynamics, conflict prevention management and resolution;
- Technical competence to conduct information gathering, research and analysis with modern technology.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, present findings and make recommendations;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks.
UA 49,106.81 – USD 77,480.72
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: b1terrorBorderSecP@ecowas.int
The post Programme Officer, Counter Terrorism at the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) appeared first on RecentJobs.