Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist a person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peacebuilding programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager II
Job Ref Code: PMS310519
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Band: Nine (9)
Reports To: Director of Early Recovery and Resilience (DERR)
Supervises: Governance Officer, Social Cohesion Officer, Livelihoods Officer, MEAL Officer and SILC Officer
- CRS is preparing for an anticipated multi-million-dollar, multi-year Germany Government funded, KreditanstaltfürWiederaufbau (KFW)-managed ‘Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR) Project’ in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno and Adamawa in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
- As Program Manager, you willprovide overall leadership to theSTaR Nigeria project team and be responsible for the overall management of the project including the quality of programmatic implementation (including monitoring, evaluation and learning) and administrative elements of the project to serve the poor and vulnerable. You are responsible for ensuring that project results are achieved on time and on budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability, and that the budget is consumed as planned. As a senior leader, you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
- Oversee the set-up of the STaR Project in Northern Nigeria as per the design detailed in proposal documentation (narrative, logframe, budget and MEAL plan); donor contract and CRS policies and standards.
- Under the leadership of the Project Director, support the development and iterative revision of STaR’s performance tracking tools (workplans, Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPS), expenditure plans, procurement plans etc) and oversee the utilisation of these tracking tools to ensure effective and efficient delivery of STaR project.
- Under guidance from the Project Director, oversee delivery of the Nigeria component of STaR ensuring quality in conformity with CRS technical approaches, models and project management standards. Responsibility will include ensuring timely and quality implementation of the project as per the project’s performance tracking tools (workplans, Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPS), expenditure and procurement plans etc); and, ensuring the project meets the planned expenditure rates.
- Provide scheduled and ad hoc reporting on STaR’s implementation progress to the Project Director, DERR and other stakeholders including government ministries and department agencies (MDAs).
- Under the guidance of the DERR, ensure STaR project structure and activity implementation are aligned to CRS NE Nigeria recovery and resilience portfolio objectives
Coordination and Representation:
- Under the direction of the Project Director, lead coordination, representation and partnership initiatives aimed at ensuring STaR contributes to the overall delivery of CRS’ strategies in Nigeria, Niger and Chad.
- Under the direction of the DERR, ensure STaR works in a coordinated manner with other CRS projects and other external interventions to avoid duplication.
Financial & Statutory Reporting and Auditing:
- Identify vacancies and under the direction of the Project Director/DERR, work jointly with HR departments to fill the vacancies ensuring adequate resourcing for each position before advertising the position (this entails developing and reviewing role profiles / job descriptions, reviewing and aligning payroll bands, advertising vacant positions, managing the interviewing processes, making appointments, overseeing orientation and probation periods)
- Develop Performance Agreements (PAs) with clear and measurable Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and regularly review staff performance in line with CRS policies and milestones for direct reports.
- Create and oversee a culture of staff mentorship and development by identifying and encouraging talent through on-the-job coaching, TDYs and horizontal / vertical job re-assignments.
- Work closely with relevant Finance and HR staff to ensure adequate budgetary allocation for project staff remuneration.
- Support the Project Director to routinely review staffing structures for each location to improve performance, accountability and delivery
- Support the HR to manage staff exit processes in a way that reduces liability on CRS and complies with Governments’ labour laws and CRS’ policies.
Background, Experience& Requirements
Education and Experience
- Minimum of master’s degree in Agriculture, Health, Development Studies or related field
- At least 8 years of working experience in agriculture, development or food security programs – including focus on at least one of the following sectors – agriculture, health, livelihoods, nutrition, or governance/peacebuilding
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with participatory methods and partnerships
- Excellent English language oral and written communication, training and facilitation skills. Fluency in Hausa and/or Kanuri language is an added advantage as well as experience with northern Nigerian context.
- Proven experience in analyzing gender and applying gender-responsive methods to project implementation.
- Understanding of faith-based organizations and capacity-building in local partnerships
- Experience in staff development and partner capacity
- Understanding of KFW (or German Government) grant provisions, policies and guidelines, including reporting requirements will be an added advantage.
- Proven leadership and ability to build and motivate diverse and talented teams
- Proven experience in building and maintaining institutional linkages
- Ability to work to meet deadlines in multiple tasking environments
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
- Travel Required 50%to field locations in Borno and Adamawa
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory:Governance Officer, Social Cohesion Officer, Livelihoods Officer, MEAL Officer and SILC Officer
- Internal: Director of Early Recovery and Resilience, Agriculture and Livelihoods Adviser, Governance Adviser, MEAL Manager, Infrastructure Specialist, Grants Specialist, DCR Emergency Response and Recovery
- External: government ministries departments and agencies, local and international NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
Application Closing Date
13th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the “CRS Application Form” using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating the position being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application (e.g. Program Manager II PMS310519) to: email@example.com
- Due to the urgent need for this position, applications would be reviewed on a rolling bases, interviews and offer could be made before the closure of this advert.
- Equal Employer Opportunity: “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- Statement of Commitment to Protection: ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’