The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Management Officer
SVN No.: SVN 2019/131 (P)
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges IOM, with support from the European Union (EU), has developed targeted interventions in Nigeria and transit countries to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, provision of direct assistance through search and rescue support, identification, referral and direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
As part of IOM’s global efforts to strengthen information management in the area, systems are being upgraded and expanded to ensure that data is systematically stored and managed through a centralized, standardized system. The upgrade improves operational efficiency and the data produced will be used to develop the evidence base on migration and vulnerability and provide valuable insight into IOM’s programming. The expanded systems will also include processes to improve the assistance workflow and monitoring of the return and reintegration experiences and outcomes of returns, as well as the assistance provided to all migrants in vulnerable situations assisted by IOM.
Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (MM) and Head of Sub Office, Lagos in Nigeria and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Officer (MM/PSU), Lagos and the thematic supervision of the Regional Office (RO) and Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring and effective coordination of Information Management related activities within the Migration Management Unit (MMU) in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in planning, developing and supervising the implementation of all IM activities in Nigeria. Monitor quality output, allocation of resources to achieve the identified outputs, and the selection of personnel and partners, and participate in overall management functions.
- Coordinate with sub-units to identify and analyse needs related to information management and prepare tools, conduct preliminary analyses and draft reports relevant to proposed programmes.
- Support the Unit’s monitoring and evaluation team in developing tools and analyzing collected data for feedback mechanism, data management, and reporting.
- Support the roll out and application of the latest MiMOSA upgrade in Nigeria in particular for the use in EUTF funded migrant protection and reintegration programming.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of databases and other information management/reporting systems.
- Provide guidance and training on the implementation and effective use of data collection tools embedded in IOM’s institutional information management systems – including MiMOSA, Flow Monitoring and standardized M&E tools for voluntary return and reintegration – in Nigeria to support and improve data monitoring, analyses and reporting.
- Produce and provide data and information for the development of reports as required to be used for internal and external publications, with focus on IOM Nigeria’s Migration Management programming outcomes and impact.
- In coordination with the DTM team, support the Migration Data team in the implementation of Flow Monitoring related activities of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration.
- Identify and implement practical solutions related to data collection, analysis, and visualization of Migration Management Unit’s activities, in line with best practices on data security and data protection.
- Monitor the data management aspect of implementing partners’ work and provide technical support as needed to ensure compliance and allow comprehensive reporting.
- Support in the drafting and operationalization of SOPs on data collection, compliance with organizational standards and real-time reporting of project activities.
- Participate in relevant seminars and meetings as well as other events focusing on Information Management.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, International Relations, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience of other information management work, including data verification, validation, classification, and transformation;
- Experience in the development and management of databases and applications;
- Knowledge or experience of case management/customer relationship management systems (Mimosa);
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills and demonstrated ability to produce high-quality information products;
- Experience in the field of migrant assistance, particularly Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) and protection strongly preferred;
- Experience using MiMOSA is strongly preferred;
- Experience in the development and management of (SQL and NoSQL) databases and applications is preferred;
- Proven ability to deliver technical training to different audiences;
- Experience in the use of database applications and statistical analysis tools.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.