Federal Ministry of Environment – The Federal Project Management Unit of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Expert Advisor (International) – Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP)
The Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is an 8 years multi -sectoral and multi-scale programme that, and on the other hand, to scale out to additional states in Nigeria. The project involves many relevant Federal and State Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) Local Government Councils, Communities and civil societies.
The various MDAs include those responsible for Planning, Economy and Finance, Works, Agriculture, Forest, Transport, Power, Emergency Response as well as those focusing on Climate and Hydrological Information or watershed/Basin regulation.
Effective implementation of this project in sustainable manner requires the engagement of an Environmental Expert that will be working with the EA Department in carrying out Environmental Impact Assessment of Erosion Control and Watershed Management projects in compliance with the ESIAAct cap E12 LFN 2004.
The Environmental Assessment Department (EA) is one of the Technical Departments established in the Federal Ministry of Environment at the inception of the Ministry in 1999. The Department is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that all developmental projects are carried out in compliance with relevant environmental laws and regulations in order to ensure environmental sustainability.
Agenda 21, the blueprint agenda for environmentally sound development, adopted by Heads of State and Governments, including Nigeria at the historic Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992, requires that all countries should conduct Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for major development projects.
This informed the decision of the Federal Government to enact the ESIAAct No.86 of 1992 as a demonstration of her commitment to environmentally sustainable development.
Main Objective of the Environmental Services
- The purpose of this proposal is to select an Environmental Expert Advisory Firm that will coordinate and collaborate with EAD of FMEnv to tarry out Environmental Impact Assessment of the proposed Erosion Control and Watershed Management projects in affected States of Nigeria.
- The Expert Advisory firm shall work in line with existing laws and standards or as required by the Environmental Assessment Department of Federal Ministry of Environment and the World Bank
- The Environmental Expert Advisors’ office shall be in the FPMU building complex of NEWMAP.
- The study will be completed in a period of 12 months starting from the date of commencement of the contract.
Any interested prospective Environmental Expert shall be expected to have:
- Master’s Degree(s) in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences, Geography/GIS, Civil Engineering, Hydrology, Geotechnics, Environmental Sciences and Geology as well as competence and cognate experience in any of the following areas of Environmental Protection;
- Experience and familiarity with EIA laws, Performance Standards, Environmental Protection Agencies/Authorities of Countries outside Nigeria
- Familiarity and Experience with International best practices on EIA Laws, Policy Formation, Regulation and Enforcement
- Background in Environment Planning/Environmental Sciences/Environment Engineering/Environmental Studies
- Experience in preparation of environmental manual, regulations laws etc.
- Experience of monitoring environmentally conceived Projects
- Experience in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Experience in development of Environmental Management Plans
- Familiarization with the working of Federal /State / Local Governments and the World Bank
- Familiarization with World Bank and other Development Partners’
- Environmental and Socio Safeguards Policies/EIA Laws
- Competence in project documentation and report writing skills
- Knowledge and use of Computer.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates (Consultants) should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
- Evidence showing the fields of specialty of the firm (consultant’s profile/brochures)
- Evidence showing that the firm is a legal entity (certificate of registration),
- Evidence of registration with relevant authorities and professional bodies
- Evidence showing the technical and managerial capabilities of the firm in the field of assignment
- Experience of working in a similar geographical region
- Description of similar assignments
- Availability of appropriate skills among staff, and availability of essential technology etc.
For each previous project performed, the Consultant shall provide the name and contact address of the client (office & e-mail address, and telephone number), date(s) of execution, name(s) of lead and associate firms, contract amount and financing sources.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers [July 2014] (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail i.e. by courier) and not by e-mail:
Federal Project Management Unit,
Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project,
Attn: National Project Coordinator (NEWMAP),
Federal Ministry of Environment,
No. 56, Mamman Nasir Street, Asokoro
TeI: 08098570625; 08036477409; 08066029902
E-mail: [email protected]
- Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method (IC) set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
- Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours [10.00am to 16.00pm].