The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment: Consultant, Six months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The analysis of data, trends and patterns related to human mobility is key to the provision of relevant and targeted humanitarian assistance. Humanitarian and development actors require information on the location and composition of the affected population in order to deliver services and respond to needs in a timely manner.
- To address response challenges based on a better understanding of human mobility, IOM has gradually improved the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), an information management system which regularly captures, processes and disseminates multi-layered information on the mobility, locations, vulnerabilities and needs of displaced populations throughout the course of a crisis. Its defining role is the collection and provision of primary data and information regarding displacement and human mobility, both in country and at the regional and global level.
- With ongoing DTM work on all four countries of the Lake Chad Basin (Cameroon, Chad, Niger, Nigeria) and geographic coverage of most regions affected by internal displacements and returns, IOM is a leading data collection to support for humanitarian and development partners and provide information and analysis for decision making.
- A recent IOM report based on DTM in all four countries “Within And Beyond Borders: Tracking Displacement And Human Mobility In The Lake Chad Basin (March 2019)” highlights the efforts made by countries towards returns and shows the needs for data collection to be more harmonized throughout the region.
- The objective of this consultancy is to support IOM missions to harmonize the DTM data collection in those four countries with the support of the Information Management Unit of IOM Regional Office in Dakar.
Management and Supervision:
- Under the overall supervision of the Regional Information Management Officer based in Dakar, Senegal, and the direct supervision of the Information Management Officer based in Nigeria. The successful candidate will join the IM unit of IOM Nigeria.
- GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE: Lake Chad Basin
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Revise existing DTM methodology in Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad on the Lake Chad Basin Region.
- Suggest avenues for harmonization of DTM activities in Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad on the Lake Chad Basin Region with a particular focus on methodology, objectives, forms, rounds timeline, etc.
- Set-up a review process including Global DTM, IMU RO Dakar, DTM Country Offices and Senior Management level of the four Lake Chad Basin country to standardize the DTM approach and adjust timelines and outputs.
- Suggest tools and forms to support the harmonization of the DTM activities in the Lake Chad Basin and provide a timeline – support countries in liaising with Clusters.
- Support each country office in adjusting to the new proposed and approved methodology.
- Suggest harmonized DTM reporting design for DTM reports.
- Suggest a one pager reporting for LCB.
- Provide needed support to Niger in the development and implement of a possible DTM exercise in Diffa.
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Tangible and Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment:
- Methodology document for DTM in LCB (including a comparative study of all three DTM)
- Harmonization plan (Table)
- Process and timeline document (narrative)
- Tools (to support harmonization)
- Forms (DTM forms)
- Methodology for LCB
- Action Plan by CO for implementing new methodology
- DTM report design
- Mission reports from Chad, Nigeria and Cameroon
- Minutes of meetings with LCB DTM focal point to drive harmonization
- One pager LCB report
- Niger methodology and implementation plan.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered:
- Review of methodology – April
- Harmonization plan – May
- Review process and timeline – May
- Tools – June
- Forms – June
- Methodology for LCB -July
- Action Plan by CO for implementing new methodology – August
- Mission reports – July and September
- DTM report design – August
- One pager LCB report – September
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- The consultant’s performance will be evaluated against the following criteria: Timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication and quality of products delivered.
- Satisfactory completion of tasks indicated in this ToRs.
- Quality of products (including: common DTM methodology in Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, Forms and tools, report design)
- Timeliness and inclusiveness of review process for DTM in Lake Chad Basin
- Initiative and planning of the DTM Niger additional data
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information Management Systems, Statistics, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in humanitarian context and specifically in the Lake Chad Region;
- Experience in the development and implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM);
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, visualization, mapping;
- Experience in writing technical requirement documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis and compiling diverse datasets;
- Experience in the development of a data collection methodology and its implementation;
- Experience in the management of data collection operations using Open Data Kit (ODK) or other mobile data (Kobo Collect);
- Advanced use of Excel, or statistical tools (SPSS, R or Stata);
- Experience on data management and knowledge of GIS an asset;
- Fluency in English and French compulsory.
- Fluency in English and French is required.
- The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
- The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Desirable Competencies – Values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.